Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mondrian

There is no doubt in my mind that the aesthetic appeal of Mondrian has attracted numerous and varied designers. And rightly so. The iconic style is appealing, fresh and bright. 
furniturestoreblog.com



diplomatics.wordpress.com


flickr.com

And even indirect referencing as the image above still retains a certain crispness which echoes the original work. 

I guess what I am asking is more of a theoretical question. If we were to apply Mondrian's concept of boiling art or fashion down to its essential elements, what sort of dress would we get? What ARE the essential features of a dress? And perhaps more importantly, is a so-called 'elementary' dress able to be interesting and viable as a fashion statement?

Centine
xoxoxoxoxoxox

2 comments:

  1. Where me comment go...anyway I said and mentioned again this morning that I reckon silverchair were influenced by this whole Mondrian thing on their last album. Had all that B&W and red blue thing happening with the yellow. See Kaylene I know art. I am so smart S-M-R-T...I mean...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tenets of Neoplasticism

    * Coloration must be in the primary colors of red, blue and yellow or the noncolors of black, gray and white.

    * Surfaces must rectangular planes or prisms.

    * Aesthetic balance must be achieved and this is done through the use of opposition.

    * Compositional elements must be straight lines or rectangular areas.

    * Symmetry is to be avoided.

    * Balance and rhythm are enhanced by relationships of proportion and location.

    ReplyDelete