Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Porter Pink Tartan

My morning ritual has changed a lot over the years. 

In the early years of high school, I'd wake up at 6 to have a jog before class...

... In Senior year, my homework would keep me up until late at night. During this time I'd set my alarm for five minutes before the school bus reached my stop. This was not always successful...

... And nowadays, when I don't have to run off to uni or work, I usually have a hangover. Today is a case in point. Wednesday night is a big one here in the "Gong". The last thing I remember of last night is ordering 20 nuggets from McDonalds drive through...

Which is why I am so so grateful that my daily blog reading list offers me something like 80 posts before I even need to contemplate breakfast. Ahh, this is the life.

One such post by the fabulous Design*Sponge sent me on a delightful journey. Apparently you lucky North American types have a "boutique" air line between New York, Toronto and Ottawa. With THESE uniforms! Applause please!

design*sponge

Of course, I then had to put on my detective hat! Who made these amazing pillbox/silk scarf creations? And can I please have a closer look at that bag?

(I'm sorry if the next section appears naive and uninformed. We don't have your stylish designers here in Australia. We only really wear bikinis...)

So Kimberley Newport-Mimran is the beautifully elegant face of "Pink Tartan", occupying many important sounding positions: Co-Founder, Head Designer, President. It's based in Canada, but after expanding to New York in 2004, they have enjoyed tremendous success and dressed such celebrities as Sex and the City's Kim Catrall and Maggie Gyllenhaal. 

But the best evidence is in their clothes. The Spring/Summer 2009 collection was exhibited at L'Oreal fashion week. Featuring glorious head scarfs, Tulip and A-line skirts and a covetable bolero trench, this line epitomised for me the re-appropriation of classic Hollywood style into a contemporary and wearable collection. Using an eclectic colour palette (bright yellows and magentas mix effortlessly with strict black and whites, and pastel knits), Pink Tartan has allowed each individual outfit to exist independently. There's nothing crazy or revolutionary going on here; just well-styled, well-crafted classic and beautiful pieces. 
Gasp! Need that scarf!
trench. trench. trench. trench.
pinktartan.com

Sigh. I want capri pants so badly...

love love
Centine.

No comments:

Post a Comment