Thursday, February 19, 2009

Portrait of an artist as a smock.

I've been thinking about the Sonia Rykiel Spring 09 collection, which was in short a joyous celebration of all things Sonia. Her signature was all over the collection, but most obviously in the dress with the image of her face brought to life by a blaze of orange hair. I was aware that this particular show marked the 40th anniversary of the label, but i wasn't aware until...well...this afternoon when i decided to read up on the collection, that the looks which came out at the end of the show were tributes to Sonia Rykiel by an array of designers including Margiela, Rodarte and Gaultier. 

The aforementioned portrait dress was by Castelbajac, who made similar dresses last season featuring Kirsten Dunst and Natalie Portman. Before I had gained this knowledge I had assumed the self-portrait dress was designed by Sonia herself...what a ballsy/admirable/self obsessed move that would have been!




For those of you who don't know me, My name is Kaylene, and I have recently (2 weeks ago) started studying Fashion Design at Ultimo Tafe in Sydney. What I want to know is how long will it be before I can justify my own self portrait dress? Will I have to wait for someone else to make a tribute one? I'd be down with that also. I'd wear my own self-portrait dress complete with hair trimmings everywhere. 
I only got Photoshop a few days ago and have no idea how to use it properly...you may have already picked up on that. 

What do you think Centine? Is it too early to start my tribute dress?

No comments:

Post a Comment